Sunday, March 21, 2010

such certainty

“I see the way you look at her, you know.’
“And how’s that?”
“As though you’re trying to see her naked.”
“So, I’m a lecher, now? Is that it?”
“Not that way. You know what I mean.”
“Perhaps, but I think I’d rather not.”
“But you do, and, you see, that’s the key.”
“The key to what?”
“To this. To us. You want to see what she’s thinking. Perhaps if she’s at all thinking of you.”
“You’re not making any of this up?”
“None. I know. I watch. I see.”
“You always did that.”
“You never left me a choice.”
“Which leaves us where?”
“I think that’s a question for you to answer, no? None of this sophomoric masquerading has made me jealous, yet. In fact, I think it’s rather entertaining, in a sad, depressing, embarrassing way.”
“It might be easier if you were incensed.”
“It isn’t supposed to be easy. Least of all for you.”
“Might it be that you’re all wrong – about everything?”
“No.”
“Such certainty you enjoy.”
“Yes. I do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment