Sunday, April 12, 2009

the breakup

“I need a new life,” she said to her friend. “I need to get rid of my furniture, my old books, most of my clothes. Just about everything. I’d only keep these shoes.” “Why the shoes?” “They get my feet,” she said. “They always feel right.” “Your jeans don’t?” “Nope,” she said. “Not always. There are days when I want to feel thin and my jeans make me feel fat.” “But not the shoes?” “Never the shoes,” she says. “That sweatshirt? It can’t make you feel fat.” “No, but on days I don’t feel pretty, it makes me feel even frumpier.” “But not the shoes.” “Never the shoes.” “So, when you get this new life, the shoes get to come along?” “Absolutely.” “Anything else?” “I don’t think so. Just the shoes.” “What about Frank?” “No way. Nope. Uh-uh. Never. Goes. Gone. Finis.” "Aha. So, you and Frank are quits?" "Yes." “But the shoes stay?" "I like the shoes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment