Saturday, August 29, 2009

esther's journal

FRIDAY, September 29: More rain. In sheets. But a good day, if not great. We read a short story in class by Kurt Vonnegut – “Harrison Bergeron.” Read it, if you get a moment. It’s good. But the discussion that followed was one of those times when you think you could teach forever. The question was this: what’s more important for society – freedom or rules? What ensued was a raucous, almost chaotic trading of ideas and opinion that gives you satisfaction as a teacher, hope for the future and an understanding of just with what we’re entrusted – these wonderful, young minds. I wanted the class to go on and on and on. I wanted to hug them all. It wasn’t the first time one of my classes has blossomed, like that. But every time it’s like a first time. You can feel the energy. My God, what a lovely revelation, always. I wish you had been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment