Wednesday, August 19, 2009

esther's journal

SATURDAY, Sept. 23: Saturdays here are different. We have morning classes every other week. If you coach a team it often ends up being a full day. I was eating breakfast, alone, in the dining hall this morning and doing the inventory thing, again. I try to ignore it or disavow it, completely, but it comes back every so often – what I’ve been doing and what I could’ve been doing, instead. Then I saw Max Varacruz, one of our international students. He’s from Mexico and he’s in my B Block class. Max is a kid I can help. I will be able to reach him. I know that by the way he looks at me. I see it in his eyes and when I do I think that maybe this is exactly what I was meant to do – to reach these kids. It’s a powerful feeling. They’re looking for that – to feel that, to know that that’s there for them, that someone is there for them. I had to smile. It was a good moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment